Nudgee cemetery is owned by the Corporation of the Trustees of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane and is part of the considerable estates owned by the Catholic Church in the area.
It is the only major private cemetery in Brisbane, but despite its ownership, it is open to the deceased of all denominations.
The first person to be buried in the cemetery was Bernard McHugh who was interred in 1867.
The cemetery is divided into distinct sections. It has an area for the church religious orders: for example the Sisters of Mercy and the Christian Brothers, among others, have defined areas. Another large section is that set aside for above ground burials which are popular with some European cultures.
NEW SECTION: In April a new section opened for those that would like a more substantial memorial than the traditional lawn areas but like the environment a lawn section offers. Information about the new Monumental Lawn section is available on the Burial Options page.